Project Location: Narellan Road, Mt Annan NSW 2567
Company: Wilken Electrical Service Pty Ltd
Client: Hansen Yuncken Pty Ltd
Contract Value: $1 Million
Complete: May 2013
The Australian PlantBank Facility at Mount Annan Botanic Gardens based in Western Sydney is a new scientific research facility with the purpose of collecting and storing all viable seeds and plant tissue specimens of all plant species in Australia.
Innovative lighting and electro technology brings this one of a kind Australian Plant Bank Conserve to life, the building management, solar power, state of art automated lighting and power systems for the operation of a complete controlled environmental Thermal Labyrinth to conserve the plant life and seeds.
The facility consists of state of the art science labs, thermal efficient seed storage vaults, climate controlled glasshouses and specialised teaching facilities.
Completed in a timely manner and within budget, this microclimate facility has been a successful project in all aspects.
The project involved the construction of a new standalone building which incorporated;
New and modern office space for the existing Botanical Gardens Trust workers to relocate:
- A library
- lecture theatres
- A Seed Bank storage facilities for the storage of plant species
The building is also used as a visitor centre and for educational purposes.
The Electrical services provided to the project are summarised as follows:
- New consumers mains including conduit from Substation to switch room
- Main Switchboard
- 4 Distribution Boards throughout the building
- Power Factor correction unit for Main switch board
- Provision of a future mobile generator connection point
- Supply authority metering
- Cable tray and supports
- Sub mains cabling
- Light and power cable reticulation
- Lighting Control system
- Emergency lighting and Exit signage
- Communication system
- Interface between Building Management system and lighting control
- Mater Antenna system including the provision for Foxtel
- Security System
- Electrical Fire and Evacuation system
- Installation of a New substation and associated Level 1 works
- Installation of Audio visual equipment in lecture theatres, Meeting rooms and teaching labs including hearing loops
Wilken entered PlantBank into the 2014 NECA Excellence Awards and were State Finalists. You can watch our entry video here